Hello there! I am so glad you're here. I'm Cameo!
I live in beautiful Colorado with a handsome man for a husband, a sweet pup named Oakley, and a family of friends. I grew up in Arizona where I later attended Arizona State to pursue my dream of being an organized crime detective. The messiness of life diverted me to Colorado, where my heart has always been.
When we arrived in Colorado, young and poor, we brought along heartache and illness and a total loss of purpose. I was extremely overweight, medicated to near numbness both physically and emotionally, and couldn't get through a single day without a four-hour nap. These sort of issues began in college and compounded themselves through a difficult marriage journey. I would sleep, wake up to eat, go back to sleep. I used food to numb and sleep to avoid, which worked out well for me because I had no energy to do much else. I was put on antidepressants, thyroid medication, restless leg syndrome medication, sleeping pills, and birth control. Pills were thrown at me with hopes they could "get to the bottom of this". I had sleep tests, MRIs, stress tests, all of it. There wasn't a single doctor who said "what are you eating?" despite my obvious nutritional deficiencies and rapid weight gain. I figured I would try eating "healthy", so I ran the gamut of diets, trying whatever sounded right. I tried low-fat, vegan, low calorie (at one point dropping to 500 calories PER DAY), whole-wheat, artificial sweeteners, soy...all of it. My life was in a constant state of taking pills and trying a new diet, only to become more sick, more tired, more depressed, and more overweight.
At my lowest point, I was hitting the scale at 220+ pounds and the sickest I have ever been. I started searching for a new doctor and new answers and found both. My sister recommended paleo and I found a doctor that practiced integrative medicine. I went to the library that day and picked up close to ten books and flipped them all that night. I downloaded podcasts, read blogs, browsed Pinterest, and read through hundreds of recipes. The grocery list was foreign and I didn't know what most of it was anyway so I asked and asked and asked and learned and learned and learned. My love of learning pushed me deeper into this new world and everything started clicking. It all made sense. For the first time in my life, I realized that it all starts with food.
I poured everything into this newfound passion of mine and worked hard to do it. Today, I'm on zero medication and have lost 70 pounds. My hair has grown back, I sleep through the night and power through the day, my digestion is near flawless, I don't have PMS (can we say hallelujah!), I am energized, and I am HAPPY. I never thought I would see the day where I didn't take an antidepressant, yet here I am almost a year removed from that last medication. My journey didn't stop there though. A fire was lit in my soul and it refined my purpose, my passion. I enrolled in a program that would allow me to help others with their nutrition as my JOB. It's literally my JOB to help others in a way that changed my life. Can you believe it?
I am honored. My soul is filled with joy to have walked my journey of healing, spiritually, emotionally, and physically.
Here are five things you may not know about me!
1. I met my husband at 13 years old, started dating when we were 15 years old, and married him when I was 21 years old. It's been over eleven years together and I still laugh at his jokes.
2. I am a routine junky. My past was full of chaos, so I now thrive in structure. I do the same things every single morning and every single evening. I need structure and routine to keep things balanced and in control.
3. I have a weird love of watching Instagram stories of cake being made. I don't like cake, I wouldn't eat cake, but I'm so amazed at the talent people have to create such beautiful cakes.
4. I have watched every. single. second. of every Boy Meets World episode, more than once. Okay, more than twice. I will always cry during the last episode.
5. My favorite past times are reading, hiking, cooking, eating, and watching Netflix with my handsome husband,
Thanks for stopping by! Please don't be a stranger.