I have a confession. I used to not like buffalo chicken. I know, I know! I had only ever tried buffalo chicken dip, covered in cheese and served with tortilla chips and did not like it at all, but when my husband recommended I create a buffalo chicken dinner, I gave it a shot. Thank goodness, because I. am. obsessed. Without all the junky additives of some buffalo sauces, melted cheese, and doused in canola oil ranch, the true flavors of it totally shine through!
This is the perfect dish to share at parties, on Superbowl Sunday, or to whip up for dinner on a weeknight! I used the Primal Kitchen Ranch with it and it adds the perfect touch, but without the refined vegetable oils, sugar, and preservatives of traditional ranch. Seriously, make this, pour ranch all over it, and enjoy life.
BUFFALO CHICKEN &
SWEET POTATO SKILLET
2 T coconut oil
3 chicken breasts, or about 1 lb
1 large sweet potato
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp paprika
⅓ c hot sauce (I used Franks)
3 T grass fed butter or ghee
Green onions, sliced thinly for garnish
Primal Kitchen Ranch Dressing for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Dice chicken breasts into small cubes, about 1” pieces, and set aside.
3. Peel and dice sweet potato into small cubes, about ½” pieces, and set aside.
4. On medium-high heat, melt coconut oil in cast-iron skillet, swirling to coat entire pan.
5. When pan is hot, add chicken and allow to sear until they easily lift from pan. Turn chicken pieces and sear other side.
6. Add sweet potato and seasonings, stirring to coat evenly, and place in oven for 20 minutes.
7. While the chicken is cooking, combine hot sauce and ghee in small sauce pan, whisking to incorporate. Allow to simmer on medium-low heat.
8. After the 20 minutes, remove chicken and potatoes from oven and pour buffalo sauce, stirring to coat evenly. Return the skillet to oven for 5-10 minutes or until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
9. Remove from oven and garnish with sliced green onions and ranch dressing. Serve with greens for a more complete meal.
Want to win the entire Whole30 Kit, including this ranch? Head over to my Instagram to enter the giveaway! You can find me at @_lemonandfig.